Tuesday, November 08, 2005

hash

Saturday afternoon, away from DC, somewhere tropical without a car, and at the mercy of those I was visiting I decided to give in to two things I'm not particularly crazy about: drinking beer and running. Yes, I was supposed to do both at the same time. Since college I've been told about a peculiar club that likes to run and drink beer at the same time, singing bawdy songs, and partying afterwards. Billed a "beer drinking club with a running problem," I met with the local hash club. No, not that kind of hash.

We set off into the hilly scrub land, avoiding large cactuses, and trying to get through a few bogs left by the rain a couple weeks ago. Vistas of the sea whenever we managed to get to a ridgeline. I can't say I finished the 6.2 mile trail the hares set for us, I dropped my contact lens (seems to be a recurring experience whenever I'm on TDY in this part of the world) in the last 1/2 mile of the run. Then the mosquitoes descended. Screw the contact lens. A 'virgin' runner, I can't say I see myself doing this again, although now I can say I've done it and crossed it off my list.

The point of the group is to be silly, social, and have fun. I like to think clubbing and concerts takes care of that for me. The ribald singing and all that was good but I've decided I'm more of a dancing martini girl when I want to be goofy. Or you know re-enacting Lord of the Rings on a ridgeline on Harper's Ferry ...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where did you do this at? I've always been curious about this, but i know in the back of my mind that it would cause me more pain, then fun.

Ex-Bureauqette said...

i've been told they are everywhere, and DC actually has several clubs ... here's the DC site: http://www.qms-dc.com/dch4/dch4.htm

I admit, I drank water before and during the run and waited to drink the beer afterwards (I had to, I was DFL-dead f*ck*ng last--haha).

honestly I didn't feel the pain until two days later ... in my calves :) althought its totally non-competitive so that's cool. Although I wished I had my hiking boots!