Monday, May 01, 2006

# 9: Housewarming

Delightful. I have to exercise my creative brain muscles since all I've been writing are dry term papers and products for work. But yes, DC film fest's closing feature, "Housewarming," was just excellent and wonderful, a perfect note to end the District's cinematic annual event. I would maybe write why I think you ought to see it, however I'll leave you with the dedication from the lead actress, 'to the immigrants who enrich our lives ...'

I'm not an immigrant but my parents are and with all the protests, strikes, and political harbingering in DC about immigration laws, the film is very timely. I look around my apartment, and there is not a lot of Bengali cultural influence I see. Instead there's a replica of a Hummingbird guitar hung on my wall, a few Rajput art prints, Korean folk art prints, a touch of Picasso and Van Gogh, and my own eclectic penchant for zebra stripes, beige microfiber upholstery, and metal and glass touches. Yes, multi-culturalism has enriched me as the daughter of immigrants, and I continue to look forward to their contributions. Right now, the protests remind me and revitalize the notions on which this country was built on, namely our founding fathers who saw these lands as sanctuary from persecution and the adventure of economic opportunity.

No comments: