Friday, May 12, 2006

our lolitas

I saw "Hard Candy." An art house film and not atypical from what I've come to expect from Lion's Gate films. Anyone will tell you pedophilia is horrible and few people care to tackle the dicey issue. But watching this movie made me think of J. Lo's "Enough." Why? Same 'big white elephant' issue put into a movie but not being necessarily true to the real conundrums of the issue. Mainly, dealing with human beings who are more complex than the caricatures of the monstrosities they represent. "Enough" is mainly about a battered wife and her abusive husband, and "Hard Candy" is about a pedophile and an extremely vengeful righteous teenager. There were parts of the movie where I wanted the pedophile to get away from the teenager who literally tortured him (Abu Ghurayb style). Hey maybe it is just me, but a bonus for the movie for making me realize I'm not into the whole eye for an eye thing.

No comments: