Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dying time

Climbing deaths - happen.  There are articles and even books written about it.  Healing and closure after the death of a close friend is a personal thing, it is also very much within the public sphere when it happens on public lands.  The results are important to the community to reinforce,  learn and remind us what we do for the sake of fun and spending time with like-minded friends, also reminds us how mortal we are.  If you receive the annual Accidents in Mountaineering you know this.  To tell people not to discuss the death of a fellow climber seems tantamount to enforce the 'forgetting' of the event and telling people to accept only certain versions of the truth from particular people is in disservice of the deceased.  Swallow your pride, death will get the better of us in time.  Death is hard, I've seen it happen to two of my close climbing friends - frankly, the discussion post-death helped me heal and understand how and why they died, and what for.  If I died doing something I was passionate about, I would hope those I shared a rope with and a love of the mountains learn something - not enforce a  'silence' period.  There is little respect in such action because it is rooted in protecting what we fear to know about ourselves and our community.  What do I know?  I'm alive, but I would think better of imposing my will on others, and just because someone 'knew' someone does not accord them any extra special powers to silence others.  For those of you who are healing, death hurts the living most.  I'm sorry you are in pain, the suffering also reminds us we are alive, and mortal.

No comments: