Thursday, April 14, 2011

2011 DC Film Fest!

Yup, I have continued my favorite annual obsession and here's a review:

Bardsongs

It's a film in three parts. The reason to see it is the cinematography, the scenes of Jodhpur in Rajasthan, city of Djenne in Mali, and the Ladakh region of India. It entwines music created for the film with the storylines that seem documentary-esque in nature. I really don't understand why the filmmaker quotes Wuthering Heights, a gothic romance, at the beginning of this film.

Little Rose

It's a dark piece about the Polish paranoia of Jewish influence in the late 1970's. The main actress was a pleasure to watch for her acting and probably features easily one of the creepiest boyfriends in cinema arts theater.

3

This was probably my favorite so far of the festival from the German director who brought us Run Lola Run. Honestly, I barely remember his previous film, but I thought it was a well directed and cleverly acted piece about human romantic relationships.

The Man from Nowhere

It's a violent Korean flick but not as violent as the Chaser thankfully. It didn't contain the same element of suspense either but it was enjoyable.

Mozart's Sister


I really like this film despite its historical embellishment about Nannerl's relationship with the Dauphin. The pleasure of watching this film was actually listening to its score.

No comments: