Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Only Because it's April 2011

This weekend hails the start of my favorite festival in Washington D.C. (see title link). In anticipation, I'm going to include brief reviews for films I did not post that I saw in the 2010 festival.

25 Carats
It's a first effort from the director, kind of dark shadowy keep guessing about the shady characters kind of movie. Not my favorite.

Between the Sheets
Possibly one of the worst films I have ever seen at the festival. Think three hours of soap opera style acting, scripting, and design.

Elvis's Last Song
Cute film on your well documented coming of age theme. Maybe something to put on the Netflix queue or watch on vimeo if you click on the link.

Heliopolis
Good film, not your typical Egyptian fare. More of an arty character piece with lots of tension. I won't spoil anything.

I Am Love
The big budget film of the festival, polished piece starring a British actress. I'm glad I saw it but given it opened a week after the festival closed not sure it was necessary for them to include this film in the line-up.

No One Knows About Persian Cats
One of the best films of that year's festivals and epitomizes why I love DC filmfest. With the director commentary in person afterwards, the show was priceless.

The White Stripes Under the Great White Northern Lights
I knew very little about this band until I saw this film. Incredible and was able to connect with this band.

Women Without Men
I saw this film after the festival when it showed at the Shirlington Cinema. An arty esoteric piece, kind of sends one's brain for a spin.

No comments: