Friday, December 23, 2005

the land of the brave and warrior kind

I'm in Rajasthan now, specifically Udaipur, which is known as the 'Venice' of the East. Well truthfully I like Udaipur more than I like Venice. And the two are as different as night and day. In a backdrop of pointy hills like the kind I drew with my crayons as a child, lakes, and palaces by the water, it definitely harkens back to another era. I couldn't have asked for a better respite from New Delhi. It is quiet, the air is fresh, there are beautiful hills, clearer water. Definitely a good place to rejuvenate. Yesterday we visited the impenetrable fort, a structure that dates anywhere from 1000 to 500 years back. Only once taken by the great Mughal emperor Akbar but then only held for two days. Many many ancient temples, pre-Mughal era.

Today we went to the city palace and then had lunch and the lake palace, the white confection of a royal home-turned-hotel. Good stuff. Tomorrow planning to relax, go to a lake and to the Monsoon palace. After that, we are driving back to Delhi. Anyway, friends are waiting ... staying at a real nifty cool retreat, with real black panthers lurking in the woods.

No comments: