Monday, July 04, 2005

outrunning

Happy Independence Day all!!! Before work I decided to bike down to the Smithsonian's Folklife Festival on the mall and see the Oman exhibit. I made an untimely detour and sat down for some kabob. After when I attempted to navigate through Constitution Ave. the parade had already started. Asking a bunch of cops where I could cross, they told me I had to wait until the parade was over. Realizing they would not sympathize with my need to get to work in 45 minutes, I went to the next cop, hoping she'd know where the parade ends and where I could cross Constitution. One cop suggested I try to outrun the parade and cut in front of them. So I started pedaling, thankfully they hadn't reached 17th yet and I was able to cross in front of the parade, my ears perked for the sounds of sirens or a stern order from a police officer ... yeah made it to work on time ...

This has been my second recent time spending Independence Day in DC. I have vague memories as a child twirling sparklers on the Mall while my parents lounged on blankets. A few years ago, my mom got rooftop tickets on the Francis Perkins Building (Department of Labor Headquarters--which has a clear view of Capitol Hill) and gave them to my uncle and some cousins. We actually drove into the city to find parking, watching awesome fireworks two blocks from the Capitol and then spent 4 hours trying to get back home.

I thought about standing on top of the garage at work to see the display, but it wasn't the same without friends or family. So I decided to hop in my car and saw most of the fireworks while trying to avoid revelers who would suddenly swerve in and out of the shoulders on 295, trying to make up their mind if they wanted to stop or go. Figuring my usual exit would be closed I tried the exit before and ended up on Independence Avenue, practically underneath the display, my world was lit up in champaign, green, and blue ... until I realized the 12th St tunnel was not closed and made some illegal turns to get back onto it. I heard the finale while in the tunnel, and crossed Constitution the second time that day north bound just as the cars started moving again. My window used to have a view of the monument. On the eve of the Inauguration I was awoken by the sounds of explosions, I looked outside and saw fireworks from the general direction of the White House. Now there's an almost finished apartment building blocking that view.

No comments: