Monday, July 11, 2005

weekends

Chopingal said it straight. Although I've probably had more estrogen in my world the past few weeks than ever before, and I thought all I wanted was to interact with the male of the species, I quickly changed my mind after this weekend.

In his generous earnestness, a friend's ex was going to set me up with his buddy, which I had no knowledge of beforehand. I greeted this news an hour before we went to Agua with trepidation. I appreciate my friends efforts to alleviate what they perceive to be my lack of dating life and loneliness, but between work and school, and reminding my friends and family that I'm still alive with a timely visit, I have no desire for the added pressure of dating. Maybe what angered me the most about my friend's ex was his attempt to make me into something I'm not. I frankly did not plan to spend my evening sitting like a bump on a chair pandering to their intellect and rehashing my college and graduate international relations theory classes or talk about paintings. I wanted to dance. You wanted to see me lively? Get on the freakin' dance floor and don't make comments about me being too laid back when I just want to quench my thirst and endure your company for the duration of the drink.

Also, even though I've never had the pleasure of extended companionship with a politico, or those who thinks its fun to talk politics at a bar, I know why I don't want to spend my evenings off with them. Frankly when I'm at work and school, my brain works very hard, and I purposefully shut it down whenever I get the chance and would rather ponder whether Brad cheated on Jennifer with Angelina than talk about how GM has taken over the world, or how many celebrities someone has been seen with, or try to ponder the feminist ramifications of 'American Psycho.' Although I must admit, it make me laugh a little inside when I see how people get so animated by these topics ... oh the passion, even though they're not going to do anything to change it.

Also I'm not keen on guys who don't want me to tell it how it is, if I were back in ancient times, they'd expect to me play a harp, do a dance, sing a song, quote something out of a book of poems, and then lay me afterwards. So when I said "Caddyshack sucked," you just have to take it.

I had good points this weekend though: climbing in good company Sunday afternoon, enjoying the laughter of a guy who thought my derision of political talk was funny, dancing at Agua, and another friend's bbq where thankfully all the company wanted to do was talk about planning our next adventure. I don't watch sports, I play them, I don't talk books, I read them, I don't talk artists, I view/hear them, I don't talk EPA policies, I enjoy what natural lands we still have ... blah blah blah blah blah ....

2 comments:

Chopin Girl said...

I'm so glad that someone else knows where I'm coming from! And I know what you mean-- you've got work to do outside of work; all you really wanna do is just chill out when you're hanging out. That's the whole point of hanging out-- to not think in sooo much depth about things. We all need a break!
Have a good week of Mids, Naz-- I'm going to follow through on my ode to you and broaden my horizons... at least within the city! :)

Anonymous said...

i hear ya! let's go dancing!