Friday, July 29, 2005

steal u and me

It was awesome ...


28 Jul Thievery Corporation
Originally uploaded by ScelestiX.
I admit, I was nervous, how do I dress or react to an outfit (can't really call them a band) that brought lounge music to mid town, got so big they were featured in (ok indie flick) "Garden State," and too large and have to perform in one of DC's hot live act venues, the 9:30 Club????

Do I wear jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers, or do deck it like I'm going clubbing? Do I dress like a Paul Oakenfold night at the Nation? Or do I put on my black painter's cap and chain link belt???

Once these guys hit the stage there was no question. Pulling reggae, psychedelic, bossa, jazz, house, sitar, Latin American, and Parisian influences out of their bag, they finished off their second set. They weren't playing to put you in a mood to buy martini's at their home club, 18th St Lounge, chill out and hit the hashsisha, but they were rocking you to dance, dance, dance. For an encore, they pulled almost all the ladies in the front onto the stage.

This weekend they are pretty much taking over 9:30 Club, all the shows have been sold out, but I noticed people selling them outside the doors, if you haven't gone, not too late. Definitely uber fun, uber cool vibe, ensuring Washington can leave its musical mark, Thievery Corporation is very District of Columbian.

No comments: