Saturday, April 22, 2006

Crossing the Bridge: The Sweet Sound of Istanbul

Review Deux: Tonight my mom and I went to see a documentary about the music scene in Istanbul. Here are my mom's observations: she basically didn't like it very much, although it was a survey about music in Istanbul, it didn't go into depth on any of the music styles it presented, and the production of movie seemed rather haphazard.

Initially I was annoyed by the German narrator who kept talking about himself traveling in Turkey, impatient to actually hear and see the music of Istanbul. First we were presented with Turkish grunge, then rap, then regional differences such as Romani and Kurdish music. Finally he went back to the classics. As endearing a social cultural icon such as Sezen Aksu can be singing her nostalgic songs, the effect is ruined by close-ups of bad plastic surgery (am I shallow for saying this?).

I admit the movie made me yearn to visit Turkey and lose myself in Istanbul; much the same way Lost in Translation made me feel about Tokyo. I also appreciate the nod and lengthy section given to street buskers ... I wish DC had more. It's great to be greeted by the soothing sounds of a busking electric guitar or saxophone, amplified perfectly by Metro station's acoustics, giving my deprived-of-jam brain a little candy in between work where its over-pressed and school where I attempt to muster a glimmer of intellect. Also don't be fooled by the movie's poster, there is no belly dancer (or dancing) with a guitar slung along her torso.

No comments: