Thursday, April 20, 2006

its an election year

For DC Mayor. I'm not sure who the other candidates are but for some reason I'm thinking of this when I read In Shaw: Pews vs. Barstools. I've marginally heard of the debate regarding development along the 9th Street corridor, which I am for. Right now the street is rows of dilapidated homes, boarded up windows, steel barred no-entry signs, and generally a depressing area. With the convention center attracting restaurants in its southern front, its time to work on the northern eastern and western sides.

One woman complains about day care being across from a bar. I ask, why do you have your kids in day care after 6 PM?

"There's nothing new about fights over the location of a bar, gay or otherwise. It happens all the time. But the battle over Be Bar is unfolding in the midst of a wave of gentrification, where race, class and now sexual orientation get thrown into an already simmering pot."

No comments: