Friday, April 21, 2006

film fest dc, Three Times

So one of my favorite film festivals kicked off last night. Some buddies and I went to see "Three Times," a Taiwanese about the ever changing fashions of time yet never changing underlying emotions concerning love. I think I have eight more films to see in this whole festival (I was not kidding when I said was crazy about the DC international film fest). So far two films I badly wanted to see on Saturday are already sold out: Water and Iraq in Fragments.

I'll offer a short review of Three Times, it's a slow film. I think you really have to appreciate cinematography or be a film student to appreciate this movie. I am neither, and I found I enjoyed some of the 'times'/chapters more than others. Perhaps more resonating with the younger crowd is the story of the lovers in Taipei in 2005. The first story takes place in 1966 and its just adorable. The mid-movie story taking place in 1911 was harder to get into, and I confess my film companions slept through that one. I'm not familiar with the director or his work, and this was supposed to be his most seductive film, I admit the acting and the beautiful Shu Qi were definitely high points.

No comments: