Friday, April 22, 2005

advice to pedestrians

I am one too and probably guilty of all these things; but these are observations I notice mostly when I'm on my bike:

1. Walk in a straight line, do not weave around, there could be a bicyclist behind you trying to figure where you're trying to go so they can avoid hitting you

2. When listening to your music or talking on your cell, do not look at the ground, look up and around you. Multi-tasking: I know it's tough after a hard day at work

3. Just because you're in a group, doesn't mean you can take up the whole sidewalk, ownership of concrete by numbers does not apply in the District

4. Pedestrians tend to weave back and forth like squirrels when they see an oncoming bike and are surprised by it. Do not behave like a squirrel, you are smarter; pick your first direction and go with it, bicyclist will adjust accordingly.

5. Be mindful of the arms signals bicyclists make. A straight arm (with left arm) means turning left, a left arm bent at the elbows at a 90 degree angle means turning right.

7. This is a common on a bike path, if you hear 'on your left' that means stay to your right, that does not mean turn around and put yourself in the path of the bicyclist.

I realize bicyclists are guilty of many errors and audacious maneuvers on roads and sidewalks, particularly since DC does not have bike lanes, the bike lanes are the roads. And yes, I heard somewhere that bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, but I've yet to hear of a DC cop enforce that one ... [I've blatantly run red lights (when no one is going to be crossing for miles) in front of cops and have yet to get a ticket ... I suppose my day will come].

No comments: