Wednesday, April 20, 2005

fever broke and ramblings

I think my fever broke this afternoon. Shivering in my shorts & tank with my thermostat set at -50 degree I decided to turn off my A/C and open the windows. Although I'm still cold even though it is 83 degrees outside .... so maybe I still am feeling feverish.

I've noticed an alarming trend ... people are not like me. Just kidding ... although it's true. I suppose I should feel rather fortunate that at age 24 I'm in a career that is fulfilling, interesting, challenges me and keep me motivated and isn't a complete waste of my time like other jobs I've held. One thing I realize is that there are a lot of people, older and younger, who haven't even yet figured out if they want a career. Its kind of like, they're happy with whatever brings in the money to sustain their hobbies. It almost alarms me. I know in old fashioned times, the parents dictated to kids to become doctors or lawyers or teach or something, and now the whole educational system is based on, "explore your interests! Pursue your hobbies!!! Do what you want to do!" Which now strikes me that people clearly don't know what they want to do, except for maybe their hobbies. There are those who are stuck in jobs, in a rut so to speak, because they're still waiting for the proverbial open door, at least they know what they want, they just don't have it yet. It's the others, those who don't care that they don't know know what they want.

For me this just means I think it will make it harder for me to find what I'm looking for in a partner. I'm ambitious and hope that I can find someone with the similar intensity of ambition. Hopefully in a respectable career. Some of those people who may not have a clue that they might want a career are the same people who tell me they value time with their friends and family. That's fine, really it is, but not at the expense of being in your death bed, looking at your life and realizing before retirement, those forty hours spent every day at the office was a complete waste of time. Also I don't believe other people when they tell me all they need to be happy is to make others happy. It's nobody's job to make everyone happy, except for the psychiatrists.

No comments: