Thursday, September 08, 2005

bonefish grill

So after a not so strenuous day of climbing at Talking Head Wall (because the parts that were strenuous, I couldn't even do) and still being sore from climbing at Great Falls, (the log: The Right Stuff, attempting some crazy 5.10 my friend told me was a 5.4, Splinters, and then being so worn out from Splinters I couldn't even complete the corner of Aid Box--how pathetic) I decided to eat with friends at the much talked about Bonefish Grill. Normally I wouldn't review chain restaurants but I figured this one wasn't as prolific as Red Lobster or Ruby Tuesday's.

Starting off with a Georgia Peach martini (very tasty) I joined my friends at the table. They're into having you dip your bread (which tasted warmed, not recently baked) in pesto and olive oil. For an appetizer we had calamari, which according to my friends, is usually excellent, but that night was chewy. This is place where you get fish, grilled, like the name suggests, in a variety of preparations: lemon butter sauce, lime tomato garlic sauce, warm mango salsa or pan-Asian style. For everyone else, it seemed the lime tomato garlic sauce (seemed best on the white fishes) and pan-Asian style (particularly good with seared Ahi tuna) were a hit. I ordered the dismal overpriced halibut rockefeller, topped with crab meat, spinach, and three kinds of cheeses, which all tasted American. I also got the potatos au gratin which again were cheesy, but in an unflavorful American kind of way. Yeah, I should give up right??? This is why I won't dine at chain restaurants, or I just ordered the wrong things.

However, Pesce on P Street is a great fish restaurant, as is Oceanaire Seafood Room if your're looking for a loud boisterous atmosphere.

Frankly, I still think Bengalis do fish better :) ... mmm sauteed onions and chillies in garlic, cayenne, turmeric, cumin, and salt ... all in a frying pan. Or in a nice tangy mango curry, mmm ..., don't get me started ...

No comments: