Thursday, May 19, 2005

aeropuerto



The post-holiday blues are setting in. I think I dreamed Cancun, the past five days of lying limpidly in the sweltering Caribbean sun, wading in tropical temperature waters, and watching my skin turn darker by the hour. Yesterday morning, I was lazily floating on my back in that pool! Eight hours later I'm back in overcast DC and all I can think about is drowning my post-holiday blues in some sangria at a Clarendon bar. Somehow I made into work today at 5 AM and somehow the Nathan's hotdog I ate at the Ft. Lauderdale airport didn't make a unseemly reappearance. Now that airlines don't serve meals as much, airports must do something about food! The whole time while I was at the airport I craved sushi.

I think it would be neat if this blog could really turn more into a travel blog. A few weeks ago I took the Foreign Service Oral Exam and passed! It was a two sided deal though, I passed, but I'm on the 'eligible hires' list; which is a 'dynamic' list of potential people for a 'conditional offer' (which actually means nothing until you're actually reporting to duty with all your paperwork and your SF 50 signed off for government service). With my score, it's unlikely I'll ever get a conditional offer. But wouldn't that be cool? If this was a travel blog about the day in the life of foreign service officer? Oh well. I certainly wish I had the flexibility and money to take off on frequent overseas adventures. Anyway, I'm just blathering on, not really explaining what I did in Cancun. I'm getting the pictures done the old-fashioned way, so maybe in two weeks I'll post the ones I like the best, and hopefully still remember the stories behind them, but by then I'm sure this city would've crushed my memories of those carefree blissful days to stressed and burned out mush.

No comments: