Monday, May 30, 2005

hometown plug

Starting this Thursday is Herndon Festival 2005. I remember once telling a friend that I had to go to Herndon Festival with one group of friends on Thursday night, another group on Friday night, go with my little brother on Saturday morning for the carnival rides, see the fireworks that evening with friends and on Sunday go see the crafts show with my mom and sis ... yeah it's one of those things. Other years I've been handing out flyers for HK Lee's Taekwondo Academy (haha, I have to write another post about this website) during the Business expo ... Herndon is the town my parents brought me home to from Fairfax Hospital and it's where I've lived a majority of my life. Sometimes I greet the festival's arrival with trepidation. Inevitably my entire high school class shows up ... sometimes its not so great, like when we all end up at Carpool and I look dorky with glasses, watching all the high school cool kids play pool and ignore me like they did back then. Other years its been gratifying, like seeing those popular girls who peaked too early, pregnant and chubby, in dead-end jobs, college drop-outs. It's the annual reunion for everyone.

This year I'm just not impressed with the bands. Carbon Leaf and Pat McGee band were some of the names this festival drew in the past, but this year the headliner is a U2 cover band, ugh. Anyway, I guess that's what I'll be doing one of the days this weekend ... they have my absolute favorite, so rare ... sweet potato fries!!

No comments: