Sunday, May 22, 2005

awkward

I had a date with a boy a friend tried to set me up with. The second time we met he saw me dancing like a crazy at The Black Cat, during one of Selector Seth's Notorious events. It's okay to dance like a nut at Notorious or Mousetrap events at the Black Cat because this is a crew of people who were dancing to these songs alone in their bedrooms ... and uh 15 years later were still dancing like it, just now in public. Thus, it was fairly easy for him to impress me with his moonwalk. Finally, he asked me out over e-mail and said 'okay.'

No harm in an actual date. We met at Gazuza's for cocktails ... he told me how he called in sick to work that day ... I was convinced he still might not be feeling well given by his occasional cough. Then I suggested we go to Cafe Citron, which on a non-weekend evening is crammed with people who are experts at salsa and merengue dancing. Cute as always, he tried to mimick them, but whenever he twirled me around, he would accidently knock my elbow into someone's head or I'd get pushed back into a petite person. Accusing me of having set low dancing expectations at The Black Cat, he said I brought him to Cafe Citron to test him where almost everyone knew how to keep a beat with their feet. He walked me home ... and then came the awkward part.

I know by then, he wasn't for me, but it appeared he had decided that I was worth checking out a second time. So he leaned in for a kiss, aiming for my mouth, anticipating that, I moved my head to the right, in hopes it would land on my left cheek, he seems to have been watching me because what then ensued for that half second was him chasing my mouth. I won, and his kiss landed on my cheek and nowhere near my mouth. To seal it, I kissed his other cheek like all the internationals at Cafe Citron do ... we can be friends but that's it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...welcome to my world of dating.

Chopin Girl said...

And at least you HAVE a dating life! :)