Wednesday, May 04, 2005

theft

A tale from a friend who had joined me last Saturday night at Black Cat:

We get to the car @ 2am. I notice that there is no water on the window. Then I realize there is no window. Great. WE call police using a cell phone from a shop. Wait for police. Almost an hour goes by no sign. Stop other people on the streets to ask to borrow phone to call police. The 3rd attempt finally we meet someone letting us borrow phone. Again requested an officer to come and file report (insurance etc) It's almost been an hour. Lady says, no it's been 40 mins (apparently that's almost not an hour). Police car drives by at 3:40 am and I honk the car horn like mad and Ryan chases after the car. Car turns around and seeing not emergency tells us that another unit is on its way but he has another situation to deal with. Sigh. back in car waiting in rain and cold. Finally 4am a unit arrives and we give story. We get home at 5 or 6am to start dash of calling to cancel cards etc. We found out punks charged $60 on my friend's card for a metro. Nothing else so far. Next day I pick my other purse and realize. Oh. I don't bring my full> wallet when I go out so I have not lost any cards, and I cancelled them all for no reason the night before. Doh.
Visited cell co (Verizon) to let them know my cell was stolen. Spoke w/ rep, they say I will be responsible for any misc charges that occurred after it was stolen still. I was like what> How is that? I have a report. I'll be disputing this. I actually called my phone yesterday to check my voicemail. Guess who answers. None other than the guy who stole my card. How do I know? Here's conversation

*Ring, ring*
Thief: Hello?
Mei: Who's this?
Thief: Who's this? (pause) oh, oh. Is this your phone. Yeah. Well. I didn't break into your car (applause to the smart, who said you broke into my car? *I AM SO SMART, S-M-A-R-T. I MEAN S-M-A-R-T*) I bought it off this crackhead for $10. I'll tell you what I will sell it back to you for $15. (pause) cuz you know, I know this information is important to you so I can sell it to you for just like $5 more than I pay for it. And I know it's expensive to replace so you know I can sell it back to you for just $15. Come meet me at 9th & U.
Mei: Where is that
Thief: By Howard Univ. Just call me when you get here.
Mei. You have my phone (J-HOLE!)
Thief: right, well um.... Well you'll just have to use a payphone then when you get here.
Mei: Well, how would I recognize you.
Thief: I have dreds
MEi: Well that's not a lot of help. How tall are you? You'll see me, I have dreds
Mei: You're not the only w/ dreds you can give me a little bit more info. How tall are you?
Thief: 6'8" (holy crap)
Mei: ARe you wearing a jacket?
Thief: no I 'm not wearinga jacket.
MEi: then what type of shirt do you have
Thief: Army shirt
Mei: Ok well I'll see how I'll need to get there then

Then I frantically call police requesting to speak w/ the officer on my case and wanting to give them all this info thinking we can set this guy up and get my phone back! Ryan and I drive down to the police station. Wait around for 2 hrs as they all talk to each other. then finally, our officer says in short version "Look, I'll go with you if you want, but my concern is safety first. And this doesn't sit right with me. That location is a troublesome spot. Alot of people down there have guns. And do you really think you're getting your phones back for him making a profit of $5. I feel like this is a setup and he's going to have friends there to mug you. I think it's best if you let us do our job. I'll forward info to a detective. He'll call you in 3-4 days. You can give information to him. Most I can do now is go w/ you and ID guy. I can't arrest him becuz of issues w/ entrapment" yadda yadda etc
Mei: How long will all this take. To get warrant... basically we want to help get this guy caught and off the street
Officer: Honestly, it could take a year. *sigh* we walk back to my car. the one w/ the trashbag taped to the window. Drive home.

No comments: