Thursday, June 16, 2005

mr. & mrs.

Having a Tuesday serve as one's Saturday's means that at a whim, I can ride my bike to the Regal Chinatown theater, buy myself a matinee ticket to a first run movie and not worry about lines or obnoxious people in the theater. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Being a huge fan of Bonnie and Clyde and Angelina Jolie, I can say the film was entertaining ...

*** spoiler alert***

For a marriage on the rocks all I read in the chemistry between Jane and John was sex, not the stuff I imagine life-long loves are made of. In fact there was no mention of love, not even after they made up. There was very little character development ... no building of a love story like Bonnie and Clyde, there was just the first time they met where after getting drunk they have sex, and then fastforward 5-6 years into the future, beat the crap out of eachother and then have make-up sex. Also I wasn't satisfied with the ending. If they turn on the enemy that set them against each other, all they did was apparently shoot down an entire mercenary army that was very bad at aiming at two obvious targets in the middle of a home retail salesroom. So where did they go after the firm? Maybe it was just an excuse to watch two hot bodies shoot it out. And you can't make it tragic by having them die in each other's arms. They're bad asses, assassins. But even these assassins have hearts that don't melt and its about killing and fucking.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with sex. But maybe I'm a hopeless romantic and I keep thinking that somewhere actual courtship is alive. I don't get this going out with a group of friends and hooking up, and I don't get this dating someone just because they are a 'nice person.' Of course don't listen to me. I've been single, celebrated the one year anniversary on Memorial Day weekend. Maybe I'm willing to wait years to feel like I've been hit by tsunami, just because someone who made my knees turn to runny butter looked at me a certain way.

1 comment:

Chopin Girl said...

I'm SO with you... ain't nothing wrong with being a hopeless romantic. The hooking up thing is alright for a while but we've gotta be real as to how far that would REALLY go! Preach on, sister!