Thursday, June 23, 2005

OBL

Osama bin Laden ... yeah, that dude? Porter Goss reminded us last week that OBL still exists and that he knows where the man is ... he also reminded us all that the CIA is wondering what the freak they'll do once the Director of National Intelligence becomes the intended czar of the intelligence community ... normally I wouldn't touch on my graduate studies, but Wednesday night I found myself raising my voice much louder than usual in my discussion class.

The discussion was on the use of 'targeted killings,' a euphemism for 'assassination.' Several people in the class made the argument that OBL ought to be assassinated for revenge, retribution, and because we're in a freakin' war AGAINST terrorism ... Now I'm no one to say that I wouldn't be happy and do a little dance if the guy ended up dead ... but my argument was, how can you take out a man whose al-Qaida movement rewards martyrdom? Makes saints out of those who die in 'battle?' Who are encouraged by the reward of the afterlife?

Apologies for getting on the soapbox, if anyone reads this I am interest in hearing what YOU think. Will killing OBL make a difference?

No comments: