Wednesday, February 09, 2005

the BEST pizza & dining alone

For some reason, the only thing that makes me feel good when I'm sick is eating, that is if my taste buds are working. Considering I skipped class and didn't go to work, I thought I felt well enough this evening to satisfy a craving for pizza. Initially I thought, Bertucci's only a few blocks away on Dupont, but after failing to find a friend to accompany me, I thought, what about 2 Amy's? I've heard rave reviews. So I decided to metro there after reviewing my options: 1) driving--didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding parking on the way back 2) biking -- wasn't sure how strenuous that might be and didn't want to over exert myself. After using the Metro trip planner which told me I could take the Red line to Cleveland park and then walk 0.38 miles to 2 Amy's I gave it a go.

Eating alone has never been an issue for me ... that is when I was on a trip for work by myself. I would purposefully find the most swank restaurant to treat myself a three course meal plus drinks on whatever allowance the company gave me. This marks the second time I've dined alone at a sit down restaurant in the District. The first time was during Restaurant Week when my date came down with the flu and my second choice also backed out because of bronchitis. Well it was Restaurant Week and I had dinner reservations at Rose Mexicano ... the only Mexican restaurant I've ever liked ... the only place that can make Mexican food taste and look like cuisine. So even though my one friend begged me to stay home and just order a pizza I insisted on going by myself ... so I sat at Rose Mexican ... a shi shi restaurant even for a Mexican one, at a table by myself, with a glass of red wine, a three course meal and my book: "The Curse of the Singles Table: A true story of 1001 nights without sex." It was great!!! I had fun!!!

My date with 2 Amy's did not have such great beginnings (well I guess they never do). Apparently Metro misplaced the decimal when they said the restaurant was a .38 walk ... more like 3.8 miles up hills!!! I had to ask several people where Macomb was and all I could think was, 'this better be really good pizza!" After sweating up hills for three miles, I was not disappointed. Bertucci's is no longer my favorite and doesn't hold a card to 2 Amy's pizza. The specialty is Neopolitan pizza, and I've had Neopolitan pizza ... in Napoli ... and I think 2 Amy's outdid that. The only other pizza that could compare was one I had in Florence, near the train station ... a long long time ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should try their stuffed pizza or ripieno. also, if u live in dupont, just take the N6 bus (weekends) or N2 bus on Mass ave, which stops on macomb. u just have to walk about .3 miles up.