Sunday, February 20, 2005

sat. night slum

Last night I dragged myself, fighting the urge to plead gastrointestinal disorders, to a local Herndon hangout, almost 45 mins outside this fair city. My friend didn't make things better when she said, "It's not just rednecks but Herndon High people too!!" That made me feel so much better. Well luckily despite my well documented hatred of bars and anything that smacks of hometown boring as hell Herndon, I went to Jimmy's Tavern. Eva Zilbert gives a fairly generous review. I typically go to Herndon to sleep at my mom's because it's where I get the best sleep. But what can you do when there's all of three bars in the entire town of Herndon ... which is home to so many tech firms and the new Booz Allen campus? My entire impression of Jimmy's was formulated during my grade school years based on walking by after Taekwondo class which was across the street and ignoring requests for martial arts demonstrations by drunken hicks. Altogether I could withstand the place with friends from high school I actually liked and seeing faces I hadn't seen in years ... until the DJ started giving a shout out to NASCAR and started playing country music. It was then I was reminded that Herndon was too close to Manassas and not close enough to DC.

No comments: