Sunday, February 06, 2005

my anti-bar rant

I hate bars. Without exception. Sometimes I have an okay time. This past week I went way too many times. I would rather go to dinner with friends where I can actually hear someone rather than waking up the next morning hoarse or with no voice at all from shrilling the night before. Also, I hate smelling like crap with nothing to show for it except a lost voice, smelly clothes and hair. I would much rather go dancing. Where at least if I'm smelly, I have good reasons, like a late night work out. Don't get me wrong ... I'll go to a bar if it involves activity in addition to socializing ... like seeing a band play ... I'm okay with that, because if the band is good you're not going to talk, and if they're really good I'll dance. Also I'm slightly sensitive to cigarette smoke, mostly getting stuffy, dry throat, and on occasion breaking out into hives (like when my boss from my old job wouldn't stop chain smoking in the rental car we had to share on a trip out to San Diego). Few things counter the effect: drinking tons of water ... ie) Friday night at Buffalo Billiards after one beer I started ordering water so much the bartender gave me two full glasses, both of which I sucked down in a minute apiece; the other thing is dancing ... maybe it has something to do with the rising heart rate or something, but I feel like I'm a lot less allergic for it. Last night I went to Chi-cha, which is a very cool place to hang out, and I typically have a very good time there because 1) they make excellent martini's 2) the atmosphere; but it's strictly a go with a group of friends place and talk to them, talk only with your friends. People don't actually seem to meet other people there. The utter down-side to chi-cha is it's a smoky little hole, like all the semi-cool bars in DC. Ugh, you won't see me crying if DC enacts a bar/restaurant/club smoking ban. In fact, if there's a group pushing for a smoking-ban I'm behind them. It's the only thing I like about Maryland, Montgomery Co. to be exact. I may even go to bars more.

No comments: