Thursday, February 03, 2005

Day in the Life of a Full-time Govee and Part-time Grad Student

So today was one of those crazy days where by the end I thought everyone must be edging away from me because I stink from having run around since 6 AM. Taking the second semester of graduate school by the horns of the bull I volunteered to lead the first discussion in my Theories of International Politics class. Even though I had overcommitted myself the past week (movie w/ friends Fri; all day movies Sat; sleepover at mom Sun; Mon night happy hour; Tues night happy hour plus evening condo owner get together; Wedn. night tooth filling) I frantically read three pieces assigned that I was supposed to know word for word ... on the bus, on the train, on the treadmill (proverbial treadmill, I've become so out of shape I can only handle the elliptical). So tonight's its over ... unfortunatley I didn't have a chance to see the reactions of my professor because he made me sit next to him, so I couldn't gauge by his facial expressions if I was remotely on the right track or if I was just out there, reciting the screenplay for George of the Jungle. Well I got away barely skinned alive ... one of the reasons I picked first to go was to get it over with early in the semester and because you can't be compared to someone before you ... I pretty much established the low bar which is hopefully at least a B.

I dunno if any of you have taken an IR theory class but it asks questions one would normally not want to ask and think too hard about ... questions like ... why are we here? what is our purpose? You know, questions that if you can't think up a solid answer to you'll drive yourself nuts, or at least I will. So imagine trying to get into that philosophical mode while on the 7:15 AM Green line with crying babies, the bus while the operator is playing smooth jazz, Sade or Alicia Keyes, or on the treadmill at the GWU gym with undergraduates eyeing eachother, sizing up the prospect for the next sexual rendezvous.

Obviously I'm writing in a blog because I'm PROCRASTINATING! From what? Well going downstairs to the gym and hopping on the treadmill and forcing myself to read about ethnic conflict in Pakistan. For next week's class. Since tomorrow I'm going to a happy hour, Sat night I'm going to a play, Sunday I'm biking .....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sunday you're biking... and having Pho! Yummmm.