Saturday, February 12, 2005

old guys rockin'

Last night at the spur of the moment after nursing a feverish infection back to a manageable congested head, I went to the sold out Wrens show at Black Cat. After hearing so many great things about them from friends and the press, I thought $10 was not a bad amount to sacrifice (or the bone chilling bike ride I took to get my hand stamped). I was surprised by several things: 1) they were really old guys 2) they couldn't keep the up-tempo for a live concert ... 3/4ths of the way through the show, I had the urge to go home and listen to my Guster records 3) one of the guys disturbingly reminded me of one of my seniors at work.

Being a rock band is a tough job for performance, generally audiences suck ... they don't know how to move or they're just plain obnoxious, but it seemed the Wrens were more concerned with reliving their past performances ... ten years ago ... rather than working the current one. A side note, DJing has to be much more satisfying, particularly at one of those DC dance mega-plexes. Anyway, read the reviews from the folks I went with at unrequited narcissism ... I know I'm a lazy blogger, but why rewrite everything that's already been written? Anyway if you want to see a great up and coming DC band, head to Velvet Lounge tonight for Cartel. I've already had a great experience with them, and a receptive audience would be great for their show tonight.

Tonight I'm going to Marrakesh, so unfortunately won't be there ... I'll be stuffing my face with hands full of honey-dripping Moroccan fare.

No comments: