Wednesday, February 02, 2005

walking threat to yourself

My skull is numb ... had an interesting dental appointment. Both my dentist and the assistant started talking about my North Face jacket that I wore on my bike ride over like I was walking a tight rope between death ... and certain death. Apparently the DC area has been wrought with armed robberies involving North Face jackets. My reaction was, "I know they're a popular fashion item ... but come on? Are these guys that desperate to hit the slopes???" I really don't think so ... I don't see these guys ever aspiring to climbing Mt. Everest or even Old Rag Mntn. for that matter. I like to think I bought my jacket for legitimate reasons, namely during my freshman year of college, I was practicing semi-technical rescue on a steep slippery slope in pouring rain and mud. I got soaked to bone and if it hadn't been for my pack rat rescue mates I might've gotten hypothermia. I swore after then, nothing but the best "dry in extremely wet weather" jacket would do. Of course I think I've used it only twice for its legitimate purpose: once for skiing, and another time backpacking in the finicky weather. But anyway, now I'm thinking twice about wearing my jacket around dc ... not that I really need it in DC, but it sure helps when I'm biking in 20 degree weather ... although I accidently bought a size or two too big and it acts more like a drag parachute.

When I asked the assistant if he knew Mountain Hardware or Patagonia, he told me he hadn't heard of them so maybe you're safer with those. He also waxed about those other 'street-style' outdoor brands. Although I'm never going to take anyone seriously if they tell me Columbia or Timberland is a legitimate outdoor brand.

No comments: