Wednesday, February 09, 2005

i tried & academics

I know I had some whiny rants, but really, I meant to write a few positive posts but blogger wasn't cooperating with me. I have some head bug that prevents me from understanding what I'm reading and makes me feel delirious ... I suppose that's a sign I have a fever. So yesterday went into work late and today I didn't go at all. Working up the courage to make the trek to CVS to buy some soup, ginger ale, and a thermometer right now, only a block away and maybe the fresh air will do some good.

But anyway, since having class only once a week for each class, papers and such sneak up on you. So I've already decided to start exploring my paper for my International Relations of South Asia class. Primarily on politics/terrorism in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is one of three democracies which have a Muslim majority so it's a pretty interesting case study in how terrorism exists in a democracy even though the current US administration touts that democracy is the cure to terrorism. Bangladesh is a country few will find a large body of work on, so I have to rely on newspaper articles mostly. I suppose I should also interview my professor since the country is one of her focii.

During my browsings, I found one blog dedicated to Bangladesh. Although more a private journal, it contains discussions on current press in Bangladesh, party politics and terrorism. Imtiaz's blog. He also has a story about the Parliament member who was killed, a former Ambassador to the US from Pakistan (back when it consisted of East and West Pakistan, pre-1971), a man my father worked for when he came to the US. Well I suppose with my day off and not having much to do, I have no excuse to get a head start on my readings for next week.

No comments: