Monday, August 22, 2005

Corduroy

Usually I avoid hotel restaurants. In a former life I used to be wooed by hotels hoping to contract nice large lucrative conferences from me on behalf of my clients... part of that task included staying in executive suites, eating in the hotel restaurants gratis, and touring the spa facilities. There were very few hotels I was impressed with. Although I have to admit San Diego's Leow's Coronado totally impressed me, not only did they seduce me with bubble baths (in a Japanese steeping tub no less), my pick of wine, but with the most AMAZING FRESHEST salad in the world ... I think maybe only in California. And I admit the brunch at the Catamaran Hotel Resort and Spa was also amazing, but you really can't go wrong if you order raw plant life at a restaurant in California.

But anyway, I was blown away at Corduroy. I starved myself all day after sleeping only 4 hours, running three miles, and lifting at the gym with only a mint mocha cooler and honey granola bar to tide me over. Needless to say when I got the Buffalo Mozzarella Porcupine (no real spiny animals were killed, it's just needle thin phyllo atop of cheese and pureed tomato sauce), Buffalo steak (see a theme?), and some amazing baked chocolate concoction, I realized I had flippantly ignored DC hotel restaurants. WOW. My friend got the beet goat cheese salad, black grouper, and sorbet with grappa. Mmmmm good. The restaurant mainly seemed to be occupied by the Sheraton's Four Points guests, but these out of towners struck it well. I can't say the decor made it for me, but it only leaves you to focus on the food. But the food more than makes up for decor, and the service was great, they were willing to entertain all our questions, including what dry white wine to choose, if there was really the death of a porcupine involved in one of their appetizers, and what the heck the third word of the chocolate dessert meant. Also I liked that they asked what the special occasion was for when I called for reservations. The trappings of a 4 star restaurant for sure.

No comments: