Wednesday, August 31, 2005

WTF

University of Virginia disturbs me. As much as I hold my alma mater in esteem, and look down on people who went to those 'other' state universities, I admit I was feeling eager to leave the school as early as half way through my third year. The feeling the University was more concerned with its image and prestige than the welfare of its students resounds to me in this article, brought to my attention by Catherine.

Why does UVa have a separate board for sexual assault??? I remember learning about it but I thought it was ludicrous while volunteering for the Women's Center. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, except 'mediation' and it was nearly marketed as a much better alternative to bringing charges in a court. College students are adults and under Virginia code, rape is a FELONY. Five years to life imprisonment. Down with the school and its secretive extra-judicial proceedings ... and its amazing to me the school does not advise taking a victim's complaint to a real court.

The University's Take Back the Night with its speak out and candle light vigil, which I have participated in twice, is telling. Hearing stories of those affected by sexual assault, one sees the long line of speakers, and then the remarkable observation that half of those people were assaulted on Grounds by people they knew.

Is there something I'm missing? Does being on a University campus automatically or legally exempt the administration, students, faculty, and/or staff from the laws of the city, county, province, or country?

No comments: