Tuesday, August 16, 2005

summer is here!

Last Thursday I celebrated the beginning of my summer, hehe, yes the last graduate course of the summer, when I get a whopping three weeks, one of which I have to work seven nights straight, culminating in about 25 hours of overtime. I guess money for me, eh? It also coincided with my birthday which is shortly coming up. I made a lot of promises myself, for example, the car and uh, that's all I can really remember. Right now I don't think Advance Car Rental is impressed with the credit line on my American Express. They're booked until after Labor Day!

Otherwise I celebrated by going to Cafe St. Ex, indulging in sweet potato fries, a glass of Grenache and a fried green tomato BLT. The BLT is definitley worth going on a diet for, temporarily of course, sandwiched between ciabatta is crispy applewood smoked bacon and gooey cheddar cheese. It drips onto the napkin on your lap. Mmmmm.

Friday I went to see The Raid, great story okay movie. Military buffs will like it, as will SAR people, the group I went with. Saturday morning, ignoring the heat advisory, I went climbing. Knocked out Bird's Nest, and flailed on Eagle's Nest. Decided the rest of the weekend would be best spent in A/C.

Otherwise what does a girl do when she doesn't have to worry about studying? I'm planning my next meal for my colleagues. My bike is in the shop, boo hoo, and going to happy hours without having a drink. I suppose now would be an excellent time to write up my review of Ceiba. Which, I liked. I like that I could choose any entree off the menu during Restaurant Week.

My sister had the shrimp ceviche, quite tasty. I has the special, a mushroom bisque of sorts with a dollop of crab meat. My mom had the Salmon taco, quite tasty fish. I got the pumpkin seed encrusted tilapia. The creole sauce reminded me of curry sauce, but the sweet plantain mash was quite tasty. The chocolate coffee cuban cake is to DIE for. Order it, if its the only thing you get at Ceiba. I think if I went back I would definitley aim for another soup, and spring for the mushroom again if they had it. The place is heavy on seafood. I have to admit, I'm not one hundred percent sold on Latin/Caribbean cuisine yet. Although Merkado has a made an impression on me.

No comments: