Monday, August 29, 2005

spices

Apparently when I don't have to worry about having class at night or studying after work, I eat. And so I did again, this time at Spices in Cleveland Park. I expected good things after I discovered its by the same people as Nooshi Oodles Noodles, from which I've had great take-out . The decor reminded me of a futuristic cafeteria, particularly with so many newly moved-in undergraduates dining there. The staff was extremely attentive and I'm impressed they didn't charge extra for the rice (which I had to order two more times because I finished the first tiny bowl) I judge a good sushi restaurant based on their spicy tuna rolls. Frankly the only place that has impressed me has been Sushi on the Rocks in LaJolla, California. But the roll was still good, maybe a bit fishy for my taste. Tempted by Washington Post's reader's reviews, I had to try the Suicide curry, and my friend had the Chicken Ginger (spicy). First off, I like that their curries were super flavorful, without one spice dominating over the other (except for the suicide curry), and they were able to do this without excess grease or oil. The Chicken ginger curry was exactly like a dish I had at Nooshi, except with rice instead of noodles. Still very tasty. The suicide curry is not for the faint-hearted. As a seasoned American of South Asian descent, fond of chopping thai green chilies or jalepenos into my salads, I have to say, I was sweating, sniffling, and my eyes were watering while eating this. But still extremely good, I dare you. Not quite the flatliner at the Wing Factory, but you know, good in that spicy sense. For dessert we finished with green tea pudding, which was served with diced mangos on top. Interesting, and not too sweet. Perfect for soothing the tongue after a fiery meal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

try rice up on 14th and v.

Anonymous said...

also, I made this last night. tought you might like it:

Armenian Apricot Soup
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000352.html

Ex-Bureauqette said...

so who are you that guy?

Anonymous said...

I'm just, that guy you know.