Wednesday, January 05, 2005

curry

I always knows that curry was relatively healthy ... I can't vouch for the stuff that you find in Indian buffets or even Indian restaurants, usually swimming in a vat of ghee or just oil. However, anything simmered with tons of veggies, spices for flavor, garlic and onion has to be good. But check out this article on turmeric. Turmeric is great to use in fried fish (with loads of onions and chilli peppers), tomato khata (Sylheti specialty), and any chicken curry. Also it has an old fashioned use as a beauty paste ... I'm not sure what my ancestors were thinking (clearly too many hits off the hookah pipe), but they seemed to think a bright yellow face before a wedding was very attractive. Now I hope they found some great benefit for using coriander, because that's probably my numero uno spice ... and I put it in EVERYTHING ... hamburgers, meatballs, even tomato sauce.

'You know you're S. Asia/Bengali if the fingernail whites of your right hand are neon yellow"

No comments: