Monday, January 17, 2005

WAR, what is it good for?

Last night I had my mom come up for a sleepover, so much for dancing till the early morning to house music until dawn, but we had a very good day. My mom had never seen the National Cathedral ... (my experiences have been: 1) great makeout spot in the Bishop's Garden, ahem ... according to sources and the one time my friend and I decided to visit afterhours and sent lovers nesting in the grottos startled and fleeing like a pack of doves 2) horrible place to picnic on a day commemorating a religious event, the bells chimes every fifteen minutes for 12 minutes, figure out how much tranquility you have then). So today we stepped into the gothic monstrosity expecting a pleasant stroll looking at the stain glass murals. Instead we were greeted by thousands of pairs of shoes. Each belonging to a soldier who died in the war in Iraq or an Iraqi civilian. This exhibit is making its rounds among many churches in the East. It was quite sad to see the entire nave covered with shoes, and if you've seen the nave, then you know its a sizeable and staggering amount.

No comments: