Monday, January 10, 2005

murderous red

In my relative week of freedom (until I regain my status as a graduate student--yikes one week left!!!), I've decided to embark on home improvement. Many have already heard about how my boring my beige/taupe whatever non-exciting paint scheme will be replaced by bold colors, like deep red in the bathroom, pale lime wash in the living/bedroom area, and deep blue accent near the front door. For sure I would need a professional to do this ... also I wanted to paint my ceilings, which are exposed concrete, with exposed pipework (making it a royal pain in the ass to paint). When I told my dad all this, he was like, 'we can do it!' So Saturday evening I went out and bought my paints ... Sunday we started painting. It took the whole day just to get two coats on the ceiling to cover the concrete, mostly because it took an hour at least to paint around the pipes. My dad did all that ... I attempted the bathroom. "Luscious" was the color ... my bathroom is in ruins. Today I started calling paint contractors, one guy I looked at it and said they have to fix the drips and it's a 'do over' wished i had 'called them before i started'. Another guy concurred about it being a do over. Ugh, my beautiful walls ... ruined! I'm not sure about the red either, it's kind of jarring, makes me feel unsettled and glad to be back out in my neutral white and cream colored hallway & kitchen.

So I'm not sure if the headache pounding in my head is linked to my drippy streaky blood red bathroom or the hammer pounding on my sinuses. Sore throat and all that made me stay home today with my favorite, the paint contractors section of the Yellow Pages.

No comments: