Thursday, January 27, 2005

what's the point

One of the greatest things about being a govee is the pay scale system. Regardless of who you are, Congress will typically vote in a cost of living adjustment, anywhere from 3-6% to keep up with inflation. So even if you get bad ratings in your performance your salary will still increase every year. That's something the private sector does not enjoy. I've known friends in the private sector who've had the same salary since they got the job ... three years ago!!! Most of them have moved onto other rival companies to increase their salaries and job potential. Also, in the government, every year you get a step increase within the grade, automatically giving you another 3% or so raise. Usually, you don't have to resort to that. Barring absenteeism and never getting any work done, its practically assured you will be promoted to the next grade, non-competitively, ensuring an additional 5-7% or more raise.

Well now the government is looking to experiment with the pay-band scale. Commonly used in the private sector. Why the freak did I transition from consulting to government anyway? Besides having a more interesting job, more security, it was the civil service scale ... which ensures practically regular promotions. Although I make less than my private sector counterparts, unlike them, I don't face a big risk of lay-off or having my salary/promotions stagnate, forcing me to look for a job elsewhere.

Okay so I'm done ranting. But I will be pissed if this thing comes to fruition. For my private sector friends, if this thing happens, look to me for a possible referral bonus :)

No comments: